Skip to main content

Review: The Cutting Place

The Cutting Place The Cutting Place by Jane Casey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was serialized in The Times (UK). It is an urban police procedural, female protagonist, a bit less gritty and lyrical than the Dublin Murder Squad books, but a pleasant diversion. Apparently this is the ninth in a series with these characters.

I don't feel inspired to go back and read the earlier books in the series, but that isn't a knock on this book. It was compelling enough that I almost downloaded the book via Kindle UK so I wouldn't have to wait for the next installment, which I think says something. The characters are well-drawn, the mystery itself engaging.

So, not a waste of my time by any means.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: How the Penguins Saved Veronica

How the Penguins Saved Veronica by Hazel Prior My rating: 4 of 5 stars View all my reviews

Review: The Spy and the Traitor: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War

The Spy and the Traitor: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War by Ben Macintyre My rating: 0 of 5 stars This book was a bit spoiled for me (through no fault of its own) because about halfway through the first chapter I realized I knew what was going to happen--2 nights before I had watched the first episode of Spy Wars on the Smithsonian channel. The entire episode is about the same man as this book is. *sigh* The timing couldn't have been worse. That said, the book is well-written, and exhaustively detailed without being exhausting. If you enjoy tales of moral grey-areas, espionage, Britain, Scandinavia, Russia, the USSR...this is right up your alley. For myself, while I love a good action-packed Bond flick as much as the next person, my preference has always been shows like Sandbaggers (the British series about a small unit in MI6, the first episode of which I think was very much influenced by this real-life story) and Spooks/MI-5 : t...